Friday, April 6, 2012

Review: Bed of Roses

Title: Bed of Roses
Author: Nora Roberts
Length: 335 pages
Publisher: Berkley Publishing Group
Genre: Romance, Fiction, Series
Source: Purchased
My Rating:SmileySmiley
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Love blooms in the second novel in Roberts's celebrated Bride Quartet series. Florist Emma Grant is enjoying career success at Vows, a wedding planning company. She hasn't found Mr. Right yet, but Jack Cooke is about to change that.

My Review: I found this book incredibly hard to get through. I think it took me three weeks of slowly plowing through every couples of nights to finish it. In theory this should be right up my alley as far as romances go.  I love the idea of wedding planning, I love strong female characters, I love the tough guy afraid of commitment, I love happy endings, and I love a good story backing the romance. The question then is, why didn't I love this? The first in the series, Vision in White, was also not a favorite but I enjoyed it more than this one. In Bed of Roses the writing style was not able to draw me in. I never felt connected to the characters. I also found the use of some crass language off-putting. I understand that it is often a part of real life and the author probably saw it as making her characters more real, but to me it didn't feel right. I wish I could be more specific but there really isn't one thing, it was an overall feeling. This just did nothing for me. I bought the Bridal Quartet series as a package and I'm not sure if I will be reading the last two at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment